Saturday, August 24, 2013

#gettingcrafty: how smashing !

Earlier this summer, I decided I wanted to make a SMASH Book after seeing it all over Pinterest. I thought it was a cool way to store all of the small memorabilia I keep throughout the years. I'm going to document my journey with my SMASH book here~

After buying some washi tape and some more scrapbook supplies and salvaging other scrapbook supplies from our hallway closet, I decided to get to work!

They sent me two rolls of the bird tape on accident/purpose ? Most of these I got from downtowntape.com. Two are from cottonon.com, and two are of the SMASH brand.
All the scrapbooking supplies I found in the closet. The red composition notebook is what I'm making into my SMASH book, which is an old notebook I used in the 7th grade.
Two SMASH pens (I'll buy the blue one next time !) and a paper pad by Teresa Collins.
Close up of the SMASH pens (with New Girl in the background) !
First, I covered the edge of the composition notebook pages with washi tape. This would help group the pages to make them thicker (versus gluing the pages together) and make the side of the book look pretty at the same time ! Tutorial is here.


I didn't know what to do for the cover, so I skipped to the inside cover. I glued a paper patterned with a field of lavender flowers and a flower-related quote... something girly and cute to open the book with.

"Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower." - Shigenori Kameoka
It took me a couple of more days from the point when I made the cover to actually do the rest of my SMASH Book. I had to dump out all the stuff I had from the past year of college (I'm starting the book here; I have a bunch of stuff from high school that I think I'm going to save for another book) and think of how to organize the stuff together and arrange it nicely on a page.

I didn't even realize how much stuff I had ! It doesn't look like so much, but, trust me, it is.
Here's what I came up with for the first page. I imagined this to be a two page kind of design, but I lacked name tags. I had a bunch more name tags but I think I threw them away when I was moving out of my dorm. I'm still mostly satisfied with how the page turned out though. I think it's a pretty good introduction page, right ? I used washi tape to decorate the page more.

Hello ! My name is...

It took me a while to decide what to do next, but I decided to make it UCSD/Triton themed since it was my first year attending university. I didn't have a lot to work with, but I think I made it look good !

Program from Convocation ! Inside the program, this guy & I were writing messages to each other. Kinda cute.
Underneath the Convocation program.
Sun God wristband and a bunch of pins I've gotten from school so far. I don't know if I'm going to keep the pins in there or not since it makes the book so fat already.
Signed concert tickets & the wristbands, Sun God babies, random stickers...
Underneath the tickets. Back of the Sun God babies & a random star sticker (which I wish I placed differently, but I couldn't remove it after I put it there >___<).
Under the wristbands.
Anyways, that's all I have done for now. I'm excited to keep working on my SMASH book and improve my scrapbooking/creativity skills ! (((:

No comments:

Post a Comment